Swadhar realized that most children in Corporation Schools are not able to read at the desired
level of their standard. It was also observed that story books are not available for these
children so they do not develop taste and habit of reading books. Therefore, the Reading Class
Project was adopted so that learning could be made joyful for children by providing age-wise
relevant and appropriate story books during the school timings. Reading Classes therefore were
an additional input to improve the overall reading ability of children. The Reading Class
Project was implemented with the main objective of providing interesting story books to the
children studying in Standards I to IV in order to enhance their reading and comprehension skills.
This project is presently being implemented in 33 Marathi and Urdu medium Corporation Schools in Pune
and Pimpri Chinchwad areas.
The aims of the Project are :
• To develop reading skills in children.
• To make story books and books other than text books available
to the children in the lower income group.
• To develop and nurture good reading habits in the children at a very young age.
• To help children develop their vocabulary.
The Corporation has allotted one clock hour / 45 minutes in the time table of every class in each
school covered under this project for conducting this programme. The Book Fairies appointed by Swadhar
take books to the class and distribute them to the children according to the reading level of the
child. The Book Fairy makes each child read at least two to three lines individually in every class.
The class begins with a prayer to settle the children and then group activities like word games,
songs and story telling are conducted in the last 15 minutes. A Reading Ability test is taken twice
during the academic year.
Impact of the programme on children :
• Children were very happy and eager to read books.
• Active participation of the children through stories, songs and word games.
• Improvement in memory, speech, confidence and performance as well as in the vocabulary, understanding of language and also motivation to solve puzzles.
• Book fairies were able to win children’s confidence, build good rapport with children and became very popular.
• Improvement in cleanliness, behaviour and cooperation in the class was visible in the children.
• Corporation School Class Teachers started actively participating in the programme.
|Back to Home